Creative Writing: The Aspects
Britni Vrbensky
I really enjoyed reading all of the articles this week. They were almost all dealing with the type of writing that I most want to go in to- creative writing/ novels. The only one that I did not really obtain a lot of imformation from was the one dealing with Science Fiction. Although the rest of that article did deal with all of the aspects of writing the focus is what caused me to not get too much out of it.
I gained some new information from the first article about characterization. This is something that has been a focus in my literary analysis class and I think that this content will overlap very well into that course. I have more of an understanding now about how a round character can be formed and that all flat chacaters is the cause for a very bland book ( Although while reading that a book of all flat characters would be boring I was tempted by the idea to write a novel with all flat characters, but making it interesting by placing a spin on it and making that the focus).
The second article was the one that dealt with Science Fiction and even though it was not focused on something that I would ever consider writing about I think that the point of him trying to discourage people from writing can be very effective. If you do not have a passion for this type of writing then it is safe to say that you should get out of it. I think that this can be carried over into many other types of writing as well and that is what I gathered from it for myself.
The third article on discription is one that I could have used in one of my earlier English classes. It was a good refresher the information needed to be brought to my attention again. I have a hard time being vague in my papers and other writings and I think that this article could have even been used last week when considering the audience that we are writing for. If you are writing descriptivley your audience is going to begin to understand what you are refering to.
The fourth article on how to write a novel was possibley my favorite all semester and the funny part was that I hated it at first. I felt like I was being treated like a child and that something so creative was being broken down in to an organized structured piece of work.As i continued reading though, I was able to see that this is something that I have been wanting to do, start writing a novel, but I have lacked the knowledge on where to start which has scared me into not starting at all. I am a very organized structured person and at the same time I do not want to come acrossed that way in my writing. I think that this article showed me that I do not nessecarily have to be structured and organized with what I am writing but that my process needs to be that way for me to be comfortable, so I thouroughly enjoyed this piece even if I was turned off in the very beginning.
The fifth article was not one that I thought fit with the subject of creative writing. This one seemed to just cover all novel writing in general. Contrary to that it was very useful to see what exactly it is like when working with a publisher.
This week was very helpful for me in my personal writing and I have taken a lot away from these readings.

It is pretty cool that you got so much out of these articles. I enjoy creative writing too, but I do not think that I will ever get anything published, as I do it for my own enjoyment. I thought the article on how to write a novel was interesting too even though I usually do not like following structures.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of you making a story with all flat characters, if only to take up the challenge of making it an interesting story. Be a rebel, Brit, fight the man! On that note, here are some spelling errors I found for you! *descriptively, *possibly, *I...love you Brit!
ReplyDelete